Yes, the first project from my unfinished drawer is completed. Done.
So…for the details.
Fabric: a medium-weight black New Zealand merino knit with a light-weight camouflage NZ merino knit lining for the hood.
Size: I made a 3-4 based on my two year old daughters’ measurements.
Modifications: I omitted the front pocket and also utilized some different stitches on the armhole and bottom hem (see previous posts for reasons why!).
Time taken: at a guess, maybe 2-4 ‘child’ hours. That is cutting and sewing with a small person present for most of the process. Definitely would be faster for subsequent vests and also, obviously without the ‘little helper’ putting pins down the oil holes in my sewing machine.
Next time: I would consider increasing the size of the armholes, found them to be just a little on the small side (+ particularly given that I made a size bigger than the suggested age). I’d also love to lengthen the vest and create a slight A-line to turn it into a tunic.
Overall Recommendation & Tips:
A super practical garment for littlies. Very simple sewing lines and I felt the pattern was well written. I guess it was a success as my daughter didn’t mind putting it on (& keeping it on…yes I’ve deciding she is going to have it as opposed to the intended recipient as I was not 100% happy with the workmanship on this one) and my husband asked if I could make him one! I did have to watch for the ‘bubbling’ effect of the hood seam (I guess I obviously stretched it somehow while sewing this – this is also the reason I omitted the front pocket as merino does shift quite a lot while sewing). I would recommend this pattern as it is very easy to sew however, make sure you measure your child (or the intended recipient) first so that you are not disappointed. Further to this, I have made this up with a basic sweatshirting fabric (same size) and found the neckline to be snug when popping-over my daughter’s head, so perhaps make allowances for this depending on the stretch of the fabric you are using.